Wednesday, March 12, 2008

skiing

so, i used to have a policy of no skiing in this country. it often seemed to me like something that rich white people did, but not others. turns out, that is not true in other parts of the world (eg, europe). its probably not true in other parts of this country (eg, many colored people ski on mountains i've never been to). anyway, when i was in utah, everybody was skiing. i felt a little left out, much like i did when all my friends were getting drunk and smoking pot in high school and college. not because i really wanted to partake, but rather, because i was missing out on a bonding experience, which seems to have merit in its own right. as such, i've decided that for next time, i'm going skiing. i needn't feel privilege guilt when it comes to skiing. rather, i think it would be more beneficial to everyone involved if i enjoyed myself, skied with my friends, and recognized and appreciated my privilege. we'll see what happens

No comments: